Monday, February 8, 2010

Congrats Winner!

"Resul Pookutty, the pride of India: Amitabh Bhachan", the head line of todays newspaper goes like this. Once again Resul Pookutty, the most acclaimed Academy Award winner for his work in Slumdog Millionaire was elected Malayala Manorama News Maker of the year 2009.

Hailing from Anchal near Kollam, Kerala the sound designer, editor and mixer won several awards and honors within this short span. His excellent sound design for Slumdog Millionaire brought him to the lime light. This break brought him recognition all over the world and most importantly all over India.

I'm copying down those lines I came across when I read more about him.
This is strong evidence that one will be repaid for all his sufferings and hard work while sticking on to ones passions. To keep on doing it without expecting great rewards, one has to be dedicated to his passion and strive for excellence. Do your best, and let God do the rest!!

Please read the following paragraph:

Resul admits that the sound design is a much-misunderstood and neglected art form in India. "Our industry is still quite ignorant about the use and quality of sound in cinema. After all these years I've received just one award, for Black. Even for that I didn't get the National Award. And I think my work in Feroz Gandhi's Gandhi My Father and Saawariya are far better than SM. I got no recognition for it at all. In India, we always look at the commercial success of a film before recognizing it. I feel frustrated when I put my heart and soul into a work and then it goes unappreciated. I just want to keep doing what I'm doing. SM doesn't change that. Santosh Sivan once told me to shoot the rising sun is the greatest joy in life. I want to savour that moment that Santosh talked to me about."

In a country like India where the film industry has a major role in the economy, movies are nowadays only measured by its commercial success. When a movie turns out to be a success, people praise the highly paid stars (I respect those talented personalities whose talent alone can win the match) and runs behind them. But everyone forgets the people involved in making that movie a great success. We never honor them for their talent and work. Resul's case isn't different. Although he had done several other great works than 'Slumdog Millionaire', he got recognised only for his work in the movie 'Black'.

This is where the Academy Award differs from the rest. It is the oldest award ceremony to recognize excellence of professionals in the film industry. Its the arena where pure talents and hard work are recognised and Resul Pookutty also got his name written in the pages of history as the "First Malayalee to win the Academy Award". Otherwise we would have been late or missed to find him among us. All the best Shri. Resul Pookutty and thanks for making every Indian feel proud!

0 comments:

Post a Comment